Kitchari Recipe - using Karma Spice
Kitchari, basmati rice & dal (lentils), using Karma Spice create a balanced food that is a good protein combination & is super healthy for all body constitutions. This complete food is easy to digest & gives strength & vitality. It nourishes all the tissues of the body. Kitchari is the preferred food to use when fasting, cleansing programs detoxification and de-aging of the cells. Kitchari is also an excellent addition to meal planning for your family.
There are many variations to this recipe, play with different vegetables depending on what is in season and what you have on hand. I have packaged my Karma Spice mixture to assist you in preparing this recipe. You can also add extra spices to add variety to this recipe. Some ideas include curry leaves, chili seeds, garam masala or anything that suits your fancy. You can also just add more Karma Spice. Yellow lentils have various names such as yellow split peas or mung/moong dahl. Both the red & yellow varietys of lentils are easy to find in most grocery stores.
- 1/2 cup Red Lentils
- 1/2 cup Yellow Lentils
- 4 cups Water
- 1/2 can Coconut Milk
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 2 Carrots, sliced or chopped
- 2 Potatoes, chopped
- 1 cup Celery, chopped
- 2 cups Spinach leaves
- 1 cup Parsley, chopped
- 1tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1tbsp Olive Oil
- 1-2 tbsp Karma Spice
- 1 cup Basmati Rice
- 1.5 cups Water
- 1 tablespoon Extra-Virgin Olive or Coconut Oil
1. Warm the coconut & olive oil on high heat. Quicly temper the onions in oil with the spices.
2. Add the water & lentils. Cook on high until boiling, then reduce to simmer for 15 minutes.
3. Add the carrots, potatoes, celery, & coconut milk, cook another 10-15min.
4. Add S&P to taste. Add parsley & spinach at the end before you turn off the pot.
5. I use a rice cooker to make my rice, usually takes 20min. I would suggest starting the rice while the lentils are cooking.